Saturday, May 29, 2010

#4 End Note

Hajimeru = to begin/start, transitive
Hajimaru = to begin, intransitive

Transitive and Intransitive verbs are my huge weak points when it comes to Japanese (I keep forgetting which is which). I'm starting to grasp it... let me try to explain.

Transitive verbs are when something is happening to something, i.e. I started the dryer.

Intransitive verbs are without an object of attention, i.e. The race started. (I think.)

Some verbs can have entirely different words, like 'fell' and 'dropped'. I fell = intransitive, She dropped me = transitive.

Try out this English quiz for trans. and int. verbs: quia.com
In Japanese, there is no clear rule for changing a verb one way or the other, you simply have to know all the words through experience. Here's a little explanation: guidetojapanese.org
A few examples:
akeru = to open (trans), aku = to open (int.)
shimeru = to close (trans), shimaru = to be closed (int.)

Another thing the above webpage points out is that sometimes you can tell which verb it is by the particle used. I.e. 'o' is used when something is being done to something, in a transitive way, vs. wa/ga is used like 'is', more intransitively.

You still have to learn the two version of all the verbs, but at least it's a start.

Time for some intensive language study -- I'll be in Japan for 6 weeks for a language course, so likely I won't be posting Nihonashi #5 (I might write a few...), but I might link to some other Japan-related videos created by yours truly, and as I learn I might post some written explanations.

Ciao,
~Mai

4 comments:

  1. Hello, just thought I'd let you know you still have a fan :P, I'm just a very inactive and lazy one. How is your Japan trip? It sounds like a very exciting one! I'm one step closer to visiting too, I submitted my application and nervously await a reply. Hey is this your first time to Japan?!? cause I was wondering, what are you meant to do in Japan xD haha? So far the thought of just getting to Japan would be good enough :P.

    Hope you had a good trip,
    Eden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    Japan was really fun, I just got back a few days ago. I was very busy, lots of homework, yet my sisters and I managed to travel a bunch. It was my first time in Japan.
    If you are going to be in the Kansai region, definitely get some Kansai Through Passes. They're 5,000¥ for 3 days, (or around 4,000¥ for 2 days) so that's about 1,600 a day, of unlimited travel in the Kansai region. Buses, trains, subways, everything except JR lines. The days don't have to be used consecutively either. Those were the best, especially because where we were located, Shitennoji University in Habikino, it took us an hour and about 700¥ just to get to anywhere really interesting.

    We also got a JR pass for a week, it was hard to travel with class, but we rode the Shinkansen so many times we made it really worth it. We made a weekend trip to Takayama/Shirakawago/Inuyama/Gifu, stayed at youth hostels in Takayama and Inuyama, that was really fun. In the youth hostel in Takayama, which is attached to a temple (cool!), we were the only people there aside from an Australian High School Japanese teacher traveling with her daughter and friend. (I thought of you.)

    It was really fun seeing all the things in Japan just like they are in anime, haha. The houses, the school uniforms, the breads, etc.
    The vending machines. They are everywhere!

    I wish you best of luck on the application! Let me know when you know the results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. おひさしぶり です ね!おげんき です か?I Finally have some free time T_T, school has taken over my life. Was swamped with assignments and commitments. Now I've only got major exams in a week or so. Hurray :P. I checked out your Japan trip blog, photos were cool and the stories were great! Haven't finished browsing your blog though.

    But yes, I've moved onto the next stage and I'll be getting an interview next week! I'm not sure how I should prepare.

    Oh I'm glad you've started to post your stories up again, lol it's a great way for me to procrastinate and just chill out =].

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! 今ちょっと病気だけど,生活はいいです。

    Ooh, good luck on exams! How does your school year run?
    Ah, thanks for checking out the blog, I'm happy knowing you looked at it.

    Awesome, good for you! 実は, I've never had a real interview. Which kind of scares me! (Not that I intend on losing my current job.) I know there are lots of resources about it, though, and some great tips out there :)

    Thanks for your support, and I hope you like the new (yet short) Nihonashi :)

    Later!
    ~Mai

    ReplyDelete