Tuesday, October 28, 2014

#11 in progress - take a look at Fushimi Inari Taisha!


I wrote episode #11 last September while I really should have been studying for the JLPT (I passed anyway though). Now I'm back on the project and will get it finished soon.

Here is a bonus picture while you wait:


(It has nothing to do with the episode.)

The photo is from Fushimi Inari Taisha, which is a vast complex covering a mountainside somewhere in Kyoto, dedicated to the god(dess) Inari. This photo shows probably the most famous aspect of the shrine: the thousands and thousands of torii, donated by various businesses.

Can you read some of the individual kanji?

On the torii in the forefront, the very top is 町 machi, meaning town, or street/block, and is followed by hachi (eight). Then we get 丁目choume meaning district, then ニノ三四 ninosanyon, which is two [possessive] three four. I suppose something like #34 of 2-chome? And we're probably missing the town name at the top of the photo.

Underneath that we have what I assume is the name of the company who donated this particular torii.

uchi/nai = inside, interior
da/ta  = rice field
shou = production, business
koto/ji = thing
kabu = stock/share, stump/root
shiki = style, ceremony
au/kai = meeting, assembly

The first two, 内田, is probably a name. It could be naida but more likely Uchida (like Sasuke).
Next we have 商事 shouji, meaning commercial affairs.
株式 kabushiki means stock, as in for a company, then it's cut off at the bottom but the last two say 会社 kaisha, meaning company/business. It's not hard to guess that might mean it's a publicly-traded company, and that is correct:
株式会社 kabushikigaisha means public company or corporation.

And this, I believe, is the company: http://www.uchida-shoji.co.jp

Yay!


To look up the kanji I didn't know, I used jisho.org, and my iPhone (you can add a keyboard that lets you draw Chinese characters, which is much faster than looking them up by radical).

No comments:

Post a Comment